Signs for dogs who eat food that has wine ingredient

Animal: Dog
Breed: Shih Tzu

Pet Symptoms: I made a stew this evening and added a glass of wine to it. I gave my dog some of the meat (about a handful) and about 4 dessert spoons of the cooking juices from the stew, only after he had eaten it I remembered about the wine. The stew was made with mostly water, vegetables and meat with one glass of wine added to it. I know alcohol and grapes are really toxic to dogs so I’m really worried about him. He is not displaying any symptoms of being unwell. He’s a Shih Tzu and weighs about 13 pounds. My vet is not open and I can only contact them out of hours when it is an absolute emergency, but I have read that when dogs are poisoned by grapes by the time symptoms appear it can be too late. Do I need to worry about this?

Our Advice: I wouldn’t think the wine in a stew would provide a great risk as most of the alcohol would boil off.

Grapes and grape toxicity can be quite variable in dogs, but at this stage after ingestion if he is doing fine, there shouldn’t be a problem. If any signs or symptoms do occur, they can be treated symptomatically with your vets if required (eg: vomiting, diarrhoea, tremors/shaking etc).